JEI is looking for a committed individual with significant civil litigation, criminal defense, and alternative dispute resolution experience to join our team as a Staff Attorney based in Port Harcourt or Lagos. He/she will be an innovative thinker and with strong technical skills, who is committed to using the law as a tool for social change and supporting grassroots legal empowerment and access to justice. The Staff Attorney will work with members of JEI staff, community paralegals, and members of grassroots movements we support.
- Minimum Qualification: Degree
- Experience Level: Mid level
- Experience Length: 3 years
- Work with JEI’s legal team and community paralegals to provide grassroots legal aid and legal education to urban poor populations in Port Harcourt or Lagos, with a focus on persons living in slums/informal settlements, persons working in the informal economy, persons living with disabilities, and minorities.
- Train, encourage, and supervise community paralegals in Lagos.
- Draft and file legal processes and make court appearances.
- Conduct legal research in support of strategic litigation and advocacy.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond paralegal supervision, litigation, and research as part of the JEI team.
- At least 3 years of experience in civil litigation and criminal defense. Please describe the required experience in a short cover letter. Candidates with more than three years’ experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Degree in law and admission (current) to the Nigerian Bar.
- Demonstrated ability to use law as a tool for social change.
- Strong legal writing, legal research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Training / teaching skills required.
- Experience working with grassroots movements a significant plus.
- Training and experience in human rights law a plus.
- Training and experience in land law a plus.
- NGO project management experience a plus.
- Experience litigating cases before ECOWAS Community Court of Justice and/or the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights a plus.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment a plus.
- Fluency in “broken” / Pidgin English required. Fluency in Hausa, Egun, and/or Yoruba languages skills a significant plus.
Remuneration: A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please send a CV/résumé, cover letter, and two writing samples from relevant work with the words “Port Harcourt Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Stay in the know with me;
Contents created by Taiwo Hammed.
Latest posts by Somtochukwublogng (see all)
- Apply for the role of Retail Store Supervisor - January 13, 2022
- Apply for the role of Chief Operations Officer - January 13, 2022
- Apply for the role of Sales Manager at Grace Jacobs Farms Limited - January 13, 2022